Best Home Remedies to Cure Sore Throat in Kids
Weather is changing, and mothers have started to monitor their baby’s health since most kids tend to fall sick during this time, and the most common issue is sore throat. Even though this is not a serious health condition, it does affect the child’s growth and development. A child who frequently suffers from cold and flu tends to get irritated and have weak immunity, which means he becomes vulnerable to other infections.
As we said, cold and flu is not severe problem, and mothers can cure sore throat in kids by adopting some home remedies that have been practiced in India for ages. Today, we will render easy home treatments that can provide quick relief and help avoid medication.
Sore Throat Causes
Sore throat is common, and if ignored in the initial stage, you would need to consult a doctor and give antibiotics. You should be aware that unattended cold and flu can lead to complications, so the best approach is to be vigilant and take action in time. But before we start discussing the sore throat home remedies for kids, let us state the common sore throat causes.
The most common throat infection is caused by a virus, and it is easily transmitted from an infected person to a healthy individual. Your child may have swelling and pain in the throat area because of a respiratory infection. Some viruses, like adenovirus, influenza, Epstein-Barr, etc., can lead to throat problems, and thus, you need to be careful in dealing with these invisible monsters. Cough, runny nose, eye redness, and congestion are some initial symptoms of infection, with some other problems like vomit, diarrhea, skin rashes, or fever.
Group A of this bacteria causes sore throats that most school-going children suffer from during transitioning weather and winters. The common symptoms in these types of infections include high fever, abdominal pain, headache, shivers, and swollen glands with pus if the infection is not treated on time.
Small children are always prone to allergies, and seasonal changes always increase the chances of infections, especially in kids, as they frequently come in contact with kids suffering from allergies.
Sore Throat Diagnosis
Sore throat is a challenging condition since your baby suffers from a painful throat and refuses to eat food, which complicates the condition further. Since both bacterial and viral throat infections have similar symptoms, sometimes it may be difficult for mommies to identify the root cause and provide appropriate treatment. Thus, it becomes essential to connect with a doctor and know the exact problem. Here are some symptoms when you should consult and seek advice:
- If the child is suffering from fever above 101°F.
- Sore throats are very common and frequent during seasonal changes like early spring, late fall, or winter.
- If the child complains of severe throat pain without cough
- If your kid goes to school where he frequently comes in contact with sick children
- The child has difficulty in swallowing or breathing due to congestion.
- There is a muffling sound when the child breathes, especially during sleep.
Your doctor will conduct examinations and may suggest tests in case the infection is severe. If the pediatricians suspects a bacterial infection, he may suggest two different types of tests: culture and rapid test. Here, he would take samples with the help of a swab from the child’s throat and check the results. A raid test result is presented within minutes, while culture takes time about 24-48 hours. If the test for Strep-A comes positive, the doctor will prescribe antibiotics to control the infection.
Home Remedies to Curb Cold and Cough
Now that we have debated the reasons and signs of cold and sore throat, here are some effective sore throat home remedies for kids that every mommy should be aware of and must try according to the child’s condition.
Raw honey for your little honey is a great option to cure sore throat in kids since it soothes the itching throat by forming a coat. The therapeutic properties of honey make it a natural, effective remedy and can be either given directly or mixed in your child’s drinks.
Since the weather is now colder, soup is a nutritious and effective remedy. If your child is facing problems in eating solid food due to throat pain, he can easily swallow soup and gain strength without any effort.
This is the most common and old home remedy in Indian households, and mommies swear by it since it renders instant relief and allows your child to sleep well. You can make your child stand in the washroom and run warm water so that steam is filled inside, making it easy to inhale. If you use a steamer, we suggest you add eucalyptus oil for further soothing
Carom seeds and Tulsi
Boil water and add a tablespoon of carom seeds with a few Tulsi leaves and allow it to boil for a few minutes. Let your child drink it twice a day for relief from throat pain.
You may be amazed to find this item on the list since very few mothers are aware of the fact that ice blocks soothe a sore throat. We suggest you make one yourself by blending fruits with coconut water or plain water and freeze them in an ice-cube tray.
If your child is younger than three and you aren’t sure of any home remedy to cure sore throat in kids, you can definitely try massaging with warm mustard oil mixed with a few garlic cloves and carom seeds on the chest, feet, and back. Massaging is believed to render warmth that decongests the chest and helps control infection.
Gargling with salt water
Gargling is also an ancient home remedy, and it provides instant relief from throat pain, allowing the child to eat well and stay calm.
Turmeric has antiseptic properties, and when mixed with warm milk, it soothes the throat and relieves the cold along with energy. It is best to give a glass of turmeric milk before bed and put the baby to sleep.
You should keep track of water consumption during cold and sore throat as your child may also avoid drinking water due to pain. Drinking water at regular intervals washes out infection-causing bacteria or viruses along with relief from the common cold.
Sore Throat Treatment
Sore throat treatment depends on the root cause of the infection, and thus, mothers should also be aware of the treatments that need to be administered for the best care. Here are a few pointers to remember that would help you provide quick relief if home remedies do not work:
MedicationsWhen you consult a doctor, expect the prescription to have a few medicines according to the infection type. Here are some major aspects involved in medicine:
- Strep throat can be treated with an antibiotic like penicillin or amoxicillin as per a doctor’s prescription.
- Strep throat takes around ten days to be cured completely
- Viral throat infections can be cured with pain relievers and rest.
- For throat pain, you may use a non-prescription pain relief medicine like ibuprofen, acetaminophen, etc.
- Viral infection can get better within 4-5 days of medication.
- No medicine should be given more than the prescribed duration and frequency. Also, the dosage varies according to your child’s weight; thus, you should never decide the quantity on your own
- Doctors do not recommend the usage of aspirin since it is believed to have some side effects
- Sprays: There are throat sprays available that provide relief from pain, but we recommend using them only after consulting a doctor.
- Oral rinses: If salt water gargles do not work, you may ask your doctor to prescribe a medicated oral rinse solution. These render the best results overnight but should not be given to children younger than six years as they may swallow it.
- Use of Ayurvedic Cold Roll-On for Babies: Some Ayurvedic brands are offering cold roll-ons for babies that contain natural essential oils like chamomile and eucalyptus, providing relief from cough, cold, and chest congestion. BabyOrgano is a trusted brand that has made effective ayurvedic cold roll-on for babies of all ages, and it is easy to apply. There are no artificial fragrances or chemicals in this roll-on, which makes it the safest treatment option for your tiny tots. Mommies can carry the roll on with them and apply it whenever required without any discomfort to the baby.
- Lozenges: These are tablets that one needs to suck on but cannot be given to younger children as these pose choking hazards to younger children.
Sore Throat Prevention
The best approach to prevent sore throat and flu is teaching your child to wash hands regularly. This helps to keep your child safe from infections that may be caused by contact with infected people. Easy to carry, alcohol-based rubs are also a great option for places where there is no water.
Advise your little one to cover his nose and mouth area when suffering from coughing or sneezing so that other kids around him are protected against infection.
When to Seek Help
If you notice that your child is in discomfort and is complaining of severe pain, the best approach is to consult a professional healthcare provider. Some other instances when you should connect with the doctor are excessive drooling, very high fever, breathing difficulty, swelling in the neck, and disinterest in eating or drinking.
In this changing weather, every mother should be vigilant and must choose appropriate home remedies to cure cold and sore throat so that the infection does not become severe. Young children are prone to infection, and if left unattended, there may be problems later on.
If you ever feel that the condition is not manageable, it is wise to consult a doctor and seek help since no mother would want a sick and irritated child.