Dental care is important and when it comes to children’s teeth, it requires special attention. It is important to inculcate healthy dental habits in children right after the budding of their first tooth. Purchasing a right toothpaste, hence, becomes vital as it can have a substantial impact on your child’s overall oral health. And this can be overwhelming as there are so many brands in the market to cater this specific need of a child.
So, here is something to consider before picking up the toothpaste for your child.
1. Check the Fluoride content
Toothpaste usually contains Fluoride as they prevent cavities and strengthen the enamel, the outer layer of the teeth. However, the level of fluoride content varies from kinds of toothpaste for adults and children. Children below the age of 2 years tend to swallow their toothpaste while brushing, which is harmful. Moreover, they can get enough fluoride from the tap water alone and hence do not require fluoride-based toothpaste. Therefore pick the toothpaste which has the lowest or no fluoride content in it. Additionally, if your child, even above the age of 2 years, has a habit of swallowing the toothpaste then using fluoride-free toothpaste is a better choice. Meanwhile, you can teach your child how to brush effectively without swallowing the toothpaste.
2. Pick the kids-friendly flavour
Strawberry is one of the favourite flavours of kids when it comes to the kids preference. Studies show that many children do not like to brush their teeth just because they don’t like the taste of the typical toothpaste. Hence, it would be good if you pick your child’s favourite flavour’s toothpaste.
Although, funny and cute cartoon pictures on the packaging also impacts the child’s decision to brush or not.
3. Check the Government and related certifications
Proper certifications are important to prove the authenticity and the genuinity of the product. Hence, always check for the same. If in case, you have any concern about your toothpaste, consult with your dentist.
4. Check for NO harmful ingredients
The toothpaste for adults usually has lots of chemical-based ingredients, which are not so good for the children. Therefore, prefer to have all natural and safe ingredients based toothpaste for your child. So even if it is swallowed mistakenly, it will not harm your child in any way.
BabyOrgano Herbal Kids Toothpaste satisfies all the above criteria and comes in an exciting strawberry flavour. It has no artificial colours or preservatives. It is 100% natural and safe for the children.
Oral Care tips for parents
- Children need little quantities of toothpaste - Adults usually have the habit of squeezing the toothpaste tube enough to cover the surface of the brush. However, this case does not apply to the kids. For the children below the age of 2years, just a touch of toothpaste is sufficient. Whereas the children between 3-6 years of age need a pea-sized amount of toothpaste to brush their teeth.
- Start maintaining the oral care early - Cleaning your baby’s mouth becomes essential right after the age of 6 months, as the baby starts having its food thereafter. For this, you can start wiping his gums by soft muslin cloth or by clean and moist gauze pad. This will make him used to brushing.